2.21.2021

your body searches for a body to conquer you more than sleep

Nothing is heard hearing himself swimming in this pool of shadows
I don't know how my arms aren't bruised by your breathing
as I follow in the wretchedness of crime
and you fall into the net that's stretched by sleep
In your eyes you hold the name of your accomplice
but your eyelids are harder than silence
and you'd rather kill than share that joy of sinking
eyes closed into sleep
I suffer from the pleasure with which your body searches
for a body to conquer you more than sleep
comparing the heat of your hands
with my icy hands
the quivering of your temples with my faint pulse
the plaster cast of my thighs with the skin of your thighs
that the shadows are corroding with incurable leprosy
Now I know what the sex of your mouth is
what the greed of your armpit holds close
and I curse the whispers that have flooded the labyrinth of your ear
on the breakers of the pillow
on the hard page of snow
Not the blood shot from me like an arrow from a bow
but the rage circling through my veins
flaming yellow in the middle of the night
and all the words in the prison of my mouth
the thirst which in the mirror's water
slakes its thirst with another identical thirst
From what night do I wake to this undressed night
long cruel night now no longer night
next to your body more dead than dead
that is not your body but the impression of your body
for the absence of your dream has murdered death
and my coldness is so vast that with a new heat
it opens my eyes where the shadow is hardest
and clearest and more light than light itself
and it resurrects in me what has never been
and it is a sudden pain even colder more fiery
to be nothing but the statue that wakes
in the bedroom of a world where everything is dead.
 
[Xavier Villaurrutia {1903-1950} 'Nocturne: Love', from Nostalgia for Death

No comments:

Post a Comment