1.29.2022

have no fear, little one... I am here to protect thee!

I cannot even attempt to group these films into any mode or genre. They're just proof that I'm looking for a lot of different things in movies, and it's kind of hard to describe. Better to just show it.

The Man from Nowhere (2010)
The Man from Nowhere
 a.k.a. This Man (2010) - "Former secret agent Tae-shik's only contact is with a girl named So-mi, whose mother smuggles drugs for a gang. When the gang realize who Tae-shik is, they kidnap So-mi and her mother, demanding that Tae-shik make a drug delivery."
Source: I own the DVD
I watched it because: this is a favorite
IMDB: 7.8/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 100% Audience: 90%
my IMDB: 10/10
notable quote: "I wanted to know you, so I pretended I did not know you."
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Jeong-Beom Lee
my notes: revenge, retribution, reawakening, trust, dedication. This is a deeply thoughtful movie masquerading as a shallow, violent excuse for popcorn.
overall: very highly recommended

Only the Lonely (1991)
Only the Lonely
 (1991) - "Rose (Maureen O'Hara) dearly loves her adult son, Danny (John Candy) -- but when Danny meets Theresa (Ally Sheedy) and falls deeply in love, Ruth feels threatened. Desperate not to lose her son to the shy young woman, Ruth uses dirty tactics to keep the two apart. Danny is perplexed as to what he should do, so he consults his friends Patrick (Kevin Dunn) and Sal (James Belushi), who give him some skewed advice. Now Danny is torn between what his loved ones advise, and what his heart tells him."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I want to like Candy, despite some previous experiences
IMDB: 6.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 64% Audience: 50%
my IMDB: 5/10
notable quote: "'Will you please accept these flowers?'
    'I don't want them. And I don't date Greeks.'
    'You know, you and I could make each other so happy. Greek men are great lovers.'"
MPAA rating: PG-13
directed by: Chris Columbus
my notes: this movie is predictable but amusing
overall: recommended

The Omen (1976)
The Omen
 (1976) - "American diplomat Robert (Gregory Peck) adopts Damien (Harvey Stephens) when his wife, Katherine (Lee Remick), delivers a stillborn child. After Damien's first nanny hangs herself, Father Brennan (Patrick Troughton) warns Robert that Damien will kill Katherine's unborn child. Shortly thereafter, Brennan dies and Katherine miscarries when Damien pushes her off a balcony. As more people around Damien die, Robert investigates Damien's background and realizes his adopted son may be the Antichrist."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I'd never seen it, and it's got a reputation
IMDB: 7.5/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 86% Audience: 80%
my IMDB: 6/10
notable quote: "You'll see me in hell.... There, we will share out our sentence."
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Richard Donner
my notes: I don't like horror movies. I never watch them. This one, though, has gotten such good press, and won an Oscar... I gave in. I watched it during the middle of a sunny afternoon, and was not as scared as I figured I might be. It was scary, and it did creep me out (so many dogs, and they were so scary!!). I was able to purge it from my memory before bed, though, so I avoided nightmares. 
Academy Award winner: Best Music, Original Score—Jerry Goldsmith
Academy Award nominee: Best Music, Original Song—Jerry Goldsmith "Ave Satani"
overall: reluctantly recommended

Chinese Box (1997)
Chinese Box
 (1997) - "During the last months of Britain's control of Hong Kong, journalist John (Jeremy Irons) discovers he has only a few months to live. He decides to use the time to pursue his friend Vivian (Gong Li), who is already engaged to another man. Realizing he has never truly engaged with Hong Kong in his 15 years there, John begins walking with a video camera, recording street life and interviewing people like street vendor Jean (Maggie Cheung), in an effort to capture the real Hong Kong before he dies."
Source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I generally like Asian film, and was looking for something different
IMDB: 6.3/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 64% Audience: 54%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote: "You must get a piece of jade, and keep it close. Then your blood will go into the stone, and the stone will get into your blood. The blood will then become stone, and you will stop bleeding."
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Wayne Wang
my notes: a very slow, thoughtful, peculiar movie. I liked it, I think? 
overall: recommended

The Man with One Red Shoe (1985)
The Man with One Red Shoe
 (1985) - "As government official Cooper (Dabney Coleman) plays a nasty game of one-upsmanship with his rival in hopes of landing a promotion, he is deceived into believing that unassuming violinist Richard (Tom Hanks) is involved in international espionage. Cooper sends his top operative, the gorgeous Maddy (Lori Singer), to charm Richard into giving himself away. The naive musician, however, is completely clueless about political intrigue and, sadly, believes he has met the woman of his dreams."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I hadn't seen it since one of those drunken evenings in college with the photographer
IMDB: 5.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 47% Audience: 40%
my IMDB: 3/10
notable quote: "Richard Drew is a complex man, filled to the breaking point with psychological conflicts. His violin is a substitute for severe anger and repression. ... Sexual repression."
MPAA rating: PG
directed by: Stan Dragoti
my notes: good gravy is this a stupid movie.
overall: not recommended

[the title quotation is from The Omen]

No comments:

Post a Comment