2.04.2022

the you you are in words

Rain echoes through the hollow of this 
late afternoon light & the shadow 
of my hand drags across the Great Lakes, 
across states, & it shakes & O how inexplicable. 
I said love when I know I meant predisposition. 
I meant empty rooms, sun cascading 
through slats after rain, that life I can easily 
imagine & want. I meant there is no way 
to express the complex architecture of 
what you are to me – the you you are in words, 
the body of you, the you I don’t even know. 
I know what I hope for. This afternoon 
brightness, this blinding flood, this thing 
we’ve built up, this heaviness masquerading 
as lightness & I just don’t know 
what to say. I can see you standing there, 
can almost hear your voice. I can see the sun 
& it’s setting & there are the two of us facing 
each other, people made out of words with 
real bodies, standing together & breathing. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment