2.05.2022

I'm a stranger to you. You have no idea what I am capable of

Longtime readers, newbs, or casual browsers: leave a comment with a movie you'd like to see reviewed here.

A Christmas Carol (1999)
A Christmas Carol
 (1999) - "It's Christmas Eve 1850, and the melancholy Scrooge finds himself alone at home when he sees before him the ghost of Jacob Marley, his long-time friend and business partner who died seven years earlier. Marley warns Scrooge that he will repent, even in death, for all the suffering he has caused others, and he has only one chance to escape his fate."
Source: I owned the DVD
I watched it because: I wanted to see it one more time before I sold it on eBay
IMDB: 7.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 72%
my IMDB: 8/10
MPAA rating: TV-PG
directed by: David Hugh Jones
my notes: Patrick Stewart is my favorite Scrooge.
overall: recommended

Maverick (1994)
Maverick
 (1994) - "This film update of the Maverick TV series finds the title cardsharp (Mel Gibson) hoping to join a poker contest with an impressive payoff. In order to enter, Maverick must first put up a large cash sum. He scams hopeful contestants Annabelle (Jodie Foster) and Angel (Alfred Molina) in a preliminary card game to win the money he needs, making enemies of both players. While trying to evade Annabelle and Angel, the crafty Maverick realizes a cunning marshal (James Garner) is also on his tail."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I was in Mel Gibson mode
IMDB: 7.0/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 66% Audience: 71%
my IMDB: 5/10
notable quote: "You did hold your breath, ma'am."
MPAA rating: PG
directed by: Richard Donner
my notes: Jodie Foster as femme fatale doesn't work for me. James Garner has never been a fave. And this is Mel at his cheesiest. It's not the worst ever... but it's not great. 
Academy Award nominee: Best Costume Design—April Ferry
overall: recommended with reservations

the Negotiator (1998)
The Negotiator (1998) - "Danny Roman (Samuel L. Jackson) is considered the best police hostage negotiator in Chicago. After a friend warns him that someone is embezzling from a disability fund, the person is found dead. Internal affairs investigator Niebaum (J.T. Walsh) discovers the gun used had been handled by Roman. When no one believes his innocence, Roman takes Niebaum hostage. When Chris Sabian (Kevin Spacey) arrives to hear Roman's demands, the two skilled negotiators begin a tense stand-off."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I like Sam, and Kevin can make a movie
IMDB: 7.3/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 74% Audience: 79%
my IMDB: 8/10
notable quote: "You know what Nietzsche says: Even the strongest have their moments of fatigue. And I'm fatigued.... I'm just, I'm fucking fatigued."
MPAA rating: R  
directed by: F. Gary Gray
my notes:  definitely worth seeing 
overall: recommended

A Winter Romance (2021)
A Winter Romance
 a.k.a. Colors of Love (2021) - "A librarian heads to a small town to see her brother and tries to save a small, historic hotel from developers, but she soon realizes that the man she's falling for is behind the development plans for the hotel."
Source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I was deep in Christmas mode
IMDB: 5.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: N/A%
my IMDB: 3/10
MPAA rating: G
directed by: Bradley Walsh
my notes: it's a swell romance - buried in a stupid plot
overall: not recommended

Jim Thorpe: All American (1951)
Jim Thorpe: All American
 (1951) - "In this stirring biographical drama, young Native American Jim Thorpe (Burt Lancaster) pursues his dreams of athletic stardom. Mentored by a devoted coach (Charles Bickford), Thorpe succeeds at track before becoming a renowned football hero and an Olympic athlete. While remarkably accomplished on the field, Thorpe faces obstacles in his pursuit of becoming a professional coach, and also finds challenges in his love life, with its disappointments and heartaches that he must struggle to overcome."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I like Burt Lancaster and didn't know the Jim Thorpe story
IMDB: 6.9/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 55%
my IMDB: 5/10
MPAA rating: not rated
directed by: Michael Curtiz
my notes: it's a good story, just overblown and ridiculous. In boosting the hero's tale, they made the man disappear
overall: not recommended

[the title quotation is from The Negotiator]

No comments:

Post a Comment