1.05.2023

I swear, the sound of a train still makes me lonely

One afternoon in early autumn, the wind 
was in the treetops. In my mind's eye, 
I saw bodies in bowler hats falling from 
 
the sky, each one a bomb, ready 
to open into umbrella. Vision 
accompanied by engine sounds 
 
and the usual whistle over 
the clatter of iron wheels on track. 
I swear, the sound of a train still 
 
makes me lonely. Afternoon into 
evening, and the wind tore leaves 
(goldengrove unleaving?) from the 
 
branches. I looked up into the star 
domed sky through the maple 
roof and saw it clear: 
 
space was just a distance 
between here and there; time 
the thing between now and then, 
 
and I was somewhere between 
body and soul, broken-hearted 
and riddled with light. 
 
[Joyce Sutphen {1949- } 'One Afternoon in Early Autumn', from Naming the Stars]

No comments:

Post a Comment