1.05.2023

I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

What is the most valuable life lesson you learned from your parents?     from my mom, I learned tenacity. From my dad, I learned flexibility.
What does love feel like?     somewhere to go when you need to be at home
What are your favorite simple pleasures?     watering the plants. Buttered toast. Singing with the radio. Rereading books I've loved.
If you could go back in time and tell a younger version of yourself one thing, what would you tell?     I wouldn't write out that $5000 check, relying on someone I knew I could not trust
What do you do to deliberately impress others?     only use words that I know how to spell
What will you never do?     enter another hopping-on-one-foot on ice race
Excluding romantic relationships, who do you love?     my friends and my family. A cat. 
What is your earliest childhood memory?     curled up in the backseat of a hot car in the summertime, reading a book - where it was blissfully quiet. And getting in trouble because the family couldn't locate me without a dedicated search.
What book has had the greatest influence on your life?     Paul Gallico's The Silent Miaow
What three questions do you wish you knew the answers to? 
    1. What are the lottery numbers for the next big payout?
    2. What one stock price will increase the most in the next year?
    3. What is the secret to happiness?
What is the greatest peer pressure you’ve ever felt?     the entire college experience qualifies for this. I did so much that I said I never would, that I resisted to the very last moment, and that I regretted even while I was doing it. The college culture is dangerous in so many ways, especially for kids who've been sheltered their whole lives up til then.
What have you done that hurt someone else?     so many things!
What’s the biggest lie you once believed was true?     I used to believe that I could force my way through anything, that if I was strong enough or stubborn enough I would win. I've come to realize that stubbornness is vital to my survival, but it doesn't make me uniquely powerful or deserving.  
 
[from here; the title quotation is from Bob Dylan]

No comments:

Post a Comment