6.06.2024

your sacred space is where you can find yourself over and over again

IF... 
 
...you were to cite an example that defined "goodness" for you, what would you say?
  I was working at the library, paying off my student loans, and struggling to get ahead. I was terribly homesick, and desperately wanted to go north for a few days - but I really couldn't justify the incidental costs. The admin assistant, who was really more of a chief-cook-and-bottle-washer - the kind of person who kept the whole place afloat while the rest of us played with books all day - saw me moping and asked what was up. I shared my woes about wanting to go home.
    The next day, there was an envelope in my mail slot. It was some cash, and a note from my friend. She said she had some extra, and that it would please her if I accepted it and have a good time at home. My eyes sting to think about how that felt, how grateful it made me, and what a treasured friend she was.
...you had to name the thing that has been the most difficult for you to give up, what would it be?
  The idea that I am not old or in the physical condition that I've come to be. Pretty sure it's universal, but I am literally surprised when I see myself in the mirror, or consider how long I've been alive, or think about how much closer to retirement I am than to the start of my work life. Am I really...?
...there was a time when, despite your resistance, a change in your life turned out to be for the better, when would you say it was?
  moving from the credit department and into my "legal" position at the financial company. The job itself didn't interest me as much as making more money and getting to do something while I worked. I was also glad to finally use my degree. It obviously didn't turn into my "forever job," but it really was good while it lasted.
...you had to name one person you know who would make the most successful/convincing TV evangelist, who would it be? 
 a high school boyfriend (let's call him Birthday Boy) would be outstanding in this role. He is charismatic, engaging, smart, ingratiating, and infinitely persuasive. Plus, handsome.
    As an alternative, a college boyfriend (let's call him Marathon Man) would rock if he tried this. Intense, dedicated, and capable of thinking out all the possible moves on the board in an instant, he has a way of making a person feel seen. Plus, handsome.
    The funny (?) thing is that neither, as I understand it, is at all religious. If that's a prerequisite, then I'll have to start from scratch.
...you could, for the good of mankind, reverse one scientific discovery or development, what would it be?
 besides AI (already discussed here, and probably elsewhere as well), I'll throw a curve: electric vehicles. The basic idea is sound, but the infrastructure is not evolved enough to handle it, yet. Premise: you buy an electric car because you don't want to use fossil fuels. You have your home panel expanded to make it possible to charge there. From where does that power originate? Is it 100% non-fossil based? To push this further: you drive your electric car on vacation, powering up wherever you can find a source to handle it. Where did that power originate? Are you simply pushing the fossil v. clean fuel debate into somebody else's backyard?
    Beyond the fuel issue, though, there are lots of other problems - such as safety, both to the driver/passengers and to others. Are they really even as safe as their gas-powered equivalent? Has enough research been done to prove that conclusively? How about convenience, which is a huge part of how people choose their transportation. Is it really more convenient to drive alt-powered vehicles, dealing with the far less ubiquitous power sources - or even equally convenient to liquid fuels? In that questionable convenience, there is also a safety issue: it can be a little unsafe to need gas in some spots in this country. How much less safe would it be to be stranded without a plug - not located on every other street corner in most cities? How about repairs? Who can do maintenance, and how do you know they are adequately skilled to handle the different mechanics of the alt-fuel engines?
    Did the whole idea of alternative power for vehicles get shoved through before there was ample time to figure all of this out? Did we buy the smoke & mirrors without recognizing that the substance is lacking?
...a good friend asked you to assist them with their suicide, how would you respond?
  it has happened—the initial conversation, not yet the action—and I agreed. I cannot imagine how difficult it could be, but I take that person and that request (and the need for it) seriously and personally. That kind of love is worth my fear and doubt.
...you had to pick the most sacred spot you've ever seen, where would it be?
  the Atlantic Ocean near Cocoa Beach, Florida. It was off-season and thus sparsely populated, with a strong breeze that brought up the waves. Most days were cool and cloudy. I sat on the beach (which was designated "no sunbathing or swimming") and soaked it all up. The River has always been a personal touchstone, but that time at the ocean was a different sort of love at first sight.
 
[from If: Questions for the Soul; the title quotation is from Joseph Campbell]

No comments:

Post a Comment