2.17.2014

think... of the world you carry within you

  • Most overused word at this point in history: amazing. Not just in terms of the Olympics (though a Google search for "amazing Sochi" [no quotes] had about 211,000,000 hits, and "amazing Olympics" [likewise] had 488,000,000 hits), but in widespread usage. I've started to predict it before it comes out of peoples' mouths. Enough, already.

    And let's not even start on this video...
  • If you use terms like "grand", "large", "k", "g's", and so forth, to describe large amounts of money, then you're likely not capable of understanding the ramifications of having or using such money, and you should not do so.
  • PayPal is driving me bonkers. I used my (admittedly) very dormant account last night, twice. I purchased two items, both of which are to be sent to an address that has been attached to my account since it's been in existence. I verified the purchases using my security key on my phone.

    I got not one but two phone calls from PayPal today, verifying that I actually made the purchases intentionally. Seriously? I understand security, but how can they make money doing stupid shit like that? They actually make a telephone call when someone spends $24? And that, after I verified the account when I set it up, set up a redundant password step, and also have the security key?! And also ordered a thing, which is going to be sent to the person listed in the account, at a known address?! They tout their convenience, but none of that was terribly convenient--and if it costs me delays in receiving the ordered items, I'll be cancelling PayPal post-haste.
  • I cleaned and straightened my bedroom this weekend. It's still a feat of stacking and complex organization (i.e. a mess that only I understand) but it's better. If it's ever decent weather, I need to go shopping for pants. And jeans. Everything I own is a bit too big. I wonder what I do with what I have?
  • What's the next "real" holiday? Are there any left in the early part of the year? Oooh, Memorial Day is probably it. There's exciting news around then. I wonder who will experience it with me?
  • The word "viral" isn't funny anymore, if it ever was. My head's full of goo, and has been for going-on two weeks now. I can't breathe, can't taste, can't smell, can't sleep. The one thing I can (?) do is work--because I have no choice.
  • I've been reading a lot of books lately. It goes hand in hand with being incapable of doing much of anything beyond sitting or lying around feeling sorry for myself, and drinking lots of fluids. Tomorrow I bring home a new collected works of Rainer Maria Rilke's, which I've been looking forward to reading for a while. Who wouldn't be excited about such a thing?

[the title quotation is by Rilke]

5 comments:

  1. Let's pretend that the first published version of this post was a beta. Now we know what can happen when I write and post under the influence of an unknown quantity and combination of cold medicines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amused...you were definitely not yourself on Round One.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I've literally fallen asleep while writing before. I would have thought my own ego would have commanded me to stop. When I read it this morning (from my phone, from which I could make no edits) I was mortified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you forgetting St. Patrick's Day? Easter? Or do you mean REAL, paid holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of the real, paid-to-not-be-working kind. Of which I have dreadfully few.

    ReplyDelete